Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dear Summer

"I know you're gunna miss me. We go together like Nike Airs and crisp tees."

The world is moving fast these days. I often feel like my life is somewhat of an enigma (everything you read next may make you question my understanding of the word). For example, I love to eat unhealthy amounts of food. I know that it is not always the best decision to do so, but I choose to do it anyway. I have this thing where if I see an entire pizza on the table I must eat it. I remember I was in school the other day after work and my Asst. Principal called me down to the office as I was in the middle of eating a tuna sandwich. So naturally I went down to the office without finishing my sandwich to see what was up. And the entire time I'm in the office I couldn't stop thinking about the tuna sandwich. I wasn't terribly ravenous, but it was killing me that I had not finished the sandwich. Furthermore, my hunger was perfectly satiated once I finished the sandwich. R.Bens never believes me when I tell her this, but when I order a sandwich I want the entire sandwich and not one bite less. I have offered to buy her an entire other sandwich before sharing even one bite with her.

It seems like many things in my life go that way. I get into something and then I do it overboard. Anyone who is close to me knows that I don't have an off button when it comes to breaking basketballs. Gaining control of my sense of control will be key to the future. I firmly believe that life is about, as Al McGuire said, "walking barefoot in wet grass." I've been reading about the Kennedy family and people closest to Jack Kennedy were always struck by how he had this dual personality where he could potentially be a carefree man who roamed the globe in pursuit of intellectual and spiritual happiness, or he could be someone who devoted his life to gaining status and power and would eventually become the President of the United States. We all know which road he chose, but is it the right one? But more importantly, did Jack's destiny have to be mutually exclusive entities? Can someone live bowling balls to the walls in both his or her personal and professional life?

Either way winter is always cold in Chicago and the summer is usually warm. Your days will be days no matter what time of year it is. So sleep when you're dead and don't forget to go to the lake when the skies are clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment